Mosque of the Jannisari

This square-on-plan Mosque dates from about 1669, following the final capture of the town of Hania from the Venetians by the Turkish forces. It is formally known as the Kucuk Hassan Mosque, named after the first Turkish Govenor of Hania.

Crete formed part of the Turkish/Greek population exchange agreed in 1924, following which the use of the building changed variously from Mosque to museum, office for the Tourist Information Dept., and cafe, and today its use is an art gallery.

The large central dome is part of the original structure, with the smaller domes and flying buttresses being latter additions. The original structure also featured a minaret, which was significantly damaged during the German bombing of Hania, and subsequently completely removed.